Support a student, strengthen
Education is essential in empowering young people from tea estate communities in Sri Lanka to improve their career prospects, realise their potential and help lift their families out of extreme poverty.
This is the purpose of our Tea Leaf Centres – professional development and vocational training centres in the tea estate communities, that provide young people between the ages of 18 and 26 years old with free education. Watch this short video to learn how Tea Leaf Centres help strengthen tea estate communities.
All students currently enrolled in Tea Leaf Centres are determined to complete their diploma, without creating further financial hardship for their family.
The current constantly evolving economic situation in Sri Lanka, in particular the high inflation and increased cost of living, is making it extremely difficult for our students to regularly attend school. They are being forced to choose between going to school and having enough food for their family.
An educated young person has an incredible ripple effect on the rest of their tea estate community. When a student graduates from Tea Leaf they will:
- Be able to gain meaningful, full-time employment
- Double their household income and help lift their family out of financial hardship
- Become leaders in their community to drive positive change
The Support a Student, Strengthen a Community campaign provides an opportunity to financially support a student through the remainder of their Diploma in 2022. By supporting a student to achieve their ambitions, you’re also supporting at least 15 community members to have better lives, and in turn, strengthening a community!
Here's how it works:
- Decide whether you want to sponsor a student for the remainder of their Diploma this year with a monthly donation/one-off donation.
- Once you’ve signed up to be a supporter via our Global Giving page, you will be matched with a Tea Leaf student.
- You will receive information about them and their post-graduation goals via email. We promise not to spam you with heaps of updates, just the key milestones such as academic/project successes and of course their graduation at the end of the year.
We currently have 255 students enrolled in Tea Leaf Centres across three locations; Maskeliya, Palmerston and Nuwara Eliya. Will you support a Tea Leaf student this year?
Here's How it Works
Input your text here! The text element is intended for longform copy that could potentially include multiple paragraphs.